Better Angels

"...all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature." ---Abraham Lincoln, First Innaugural Address

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Are You Calling Me a Liar?

Reader Anonymous posted in the pervious thread that he received this lovely note from NPR's Omsbudsman:

Dear Mr. X,

I have seen it and if it were true, I'd be outraged as well.
It's not.

Regards,

Jeffrey Dvorkin


As my 4 year old would say, what's up with that?

How can I be clearer about this? BBH (and no, I have no idea who her hubby is. I can't find any wedding announcements online and I've searched the DC, VA and MD phone books.)spoke to journalism students and was paid by Fieldstead and Co. This is easy to document. The NPR ethics guide says:


7. NPR journalists may only accept fees from educational or nonprofit groups not engaged in significant lobbying or political activity. Determining whether a group engages in significant lobbying or political activity is the responsibility of the journalist seeking permission, and all information must be fully disclosed to the journalist's supervisor.


Fieldstead and Co. and all of the other arms of Ahmanson's empire are certainly engaged in lobbying and political activity. (They are listed on the American Association of Political Consultants' 2003 membership roster, for Pete's sake!) BBH can claim ignorance, but it was her responsibility to find out who these people were before accepting the gig. I mean, she's a journalist, right? How hard is it to do a Google search? Oh, wait, I forgot...in the Feb 2000 issue of American Libraries, BBH is quoted thusly:

"Reporters should be thinking about big ideas and can get bogged down in detail," she says. "I write stories with blanks and let the library staff fill them in."


Yeah, those details are a bitch, huh Babs?