Better Angels

"...all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature." ---Abraham Lincoln, First Innaugural Address

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Who am I? I am Atrios!

The Scooter graciously posted this in the thread below:

Dear sir, (that would be Jeffrey Dvorkin, NPR Omsbudsman)

I've heard that you hate hearing about blogs, especially when they call you out on problems. However, regardless of your feelings about weblogs, I cannot see any possible reason why you would want to sweep a problem like the one discussed at the Better Angels blog under the rug.

(Link to my article snipped)
Quite aside from Mrs. Hagerty's apparent lack of professional and personal ethics, I hate to think that someone who said "I write stories with blanks and let the library staff fill them in," could be allowed to keep her job with a news organization like NPR's. It's been a couple of years since I was a reporter (at a small, twice-a-week paper in the Texas Panhandle), but if I'd ever made a statement like that (and if I'd also violated my employer's ethics rules), I suspect my publisher would've shown me the door without hesitation.

Please do the right thing and let Mrs. Hagerty go.

Thank you,
Scott Slemmons


And Mr. Dvorkin replied back thusly:

Dear Mr. Slemmons,

Forgive me, but how do you know this to be true?

Shouldn't the blogger (like other journalists) check his or her facts before making these claims? Has Atrios called Ms. Bradley Hagerty, or Bruce Drake, VP of News at NPR? Or me?

Regards,

Jeffrey Dvorkin

4:27 PM


I think we can be pretty clear on one thing: Dvorkin hasn't been here and read what I have to say. Otherwise he'd know that I'm not Atrios! (Though, hey, I'm plenty flattered, especially considering this is my third post ever.)

I'm over the whole Catholic issue. I mean, she's going to maintain that she had no idea who those parishioners were and there's no way to prove that she did unless somebody has access to photos of BBH yukkin' it up with Carrie Gress et al as they cavort arm and arm through Lafayette Park. (TV pitch: It's like Sex and the City only in D.C. and the four main characters are an ethics-impaired journalist, an Orthodox Catholic policy director, a right-wing think-tank member and an Anti-Semitic author! Oh, and there's no sex. But lots of cavorting...lots and lots of cavorting!)

BUT, there is clear evidence that she broke the conflict of interest guidelines. Dvorkin didn't address this in his letter to Scott, and he doesn't address it in his Omsbudsman's letter today.

Let me break it down even more for ya, Jeff:

Hagerty spoke to student journalists at the largesse of Fieldstead & Co.

Fieldstead & Co. has a political agenda.

NPR reporters are not supposed to be paid by organizations with political agendas.

Got it? Good.