Better Angels

"...all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature." ---Abraham Lincoln, First Innaugural Address

Sunday, September 12, 2004

9/11

Yesterday my stepsons and I were talking about the 9/11 anniversary and where we were at the time. They recalled that they were on their way back from a dentist's appointment with their mom:

"Mommy had the radio on and heard that there were explosions and people were escaping and stuff and she turned it off. Then she dropped us off at school." This I already knew and had always thought odd, since most people heard the news and rushed to pick up their kids from school.

"What time was it?"

"9 or 10 A lot of kids left early."

"I had to keep it a secret." This from S, who was then 9.

"What?"

"The teacher told me not to tell anyone."

"Yeah, they didn't make an announcement until dismissal," added M, now 14.

Can you imagine? Your mother drops you off at school, knowing there's a terrorist attack. She heads off to work and you have to spend the school day acting like everything's ok. I don't get some people. At all.